Sunday, August 16, 2015

Georgia Peach/Bulldog

Hey Harry

 A few days ago, I said farewell to a dear friend.  She started off as a colleague and strange blonde lady down the hall that I could sometimes hear teaching through the wall but as she headed off on her new journey to teach a thousand miles away, my heart cracked a little.  She brightened our hallways with her genuine smile and colorful style.  There were days where I actually said, “What in the world are you wearing?”, but it was just her being her.  Sometimes we would go a week without seeing one another as schedules became more and more hectic, but I knew if the day became too long or too hectic a smile and a diet coke were only a short walk away. 

5 Things I Learned From a Georgia Peach/Bulldog

  1. The southern belle is alive and well.  
From “Bless your heart.” to church dress, she showed me that being a lady was more than your speech, even though hers was impeccable.  Grammar correct and vulgarities absent she proved that you can get your point across without raising your voice.  Even when she was so angry that her face was red and there were tears of frustration, a cuss word did not cross her lips.  She was always wiling to lend a helping hand without complaint or censure even to those who had just caused the tears. 

2. Strength has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with character.
She raised four children on a preacher and a teacher’s salary and sometimes on no salary at all.  She raised them while supporting her husband in his endeavors with faith and positivity in this country and in others.  She taught while battling cancer, while beating cancer, and then went on to show students and staff that her support wouldn't stop even though her cure had come.  She kept a schedule of cheer coach, math teacher and Relay Team Captain every year. 

3. Wave your flag, whatever, it may be.
She showed me that if you were passionate about it, then do it.  She encouraged me to write this blog.  She was there when it first came into being.  She was my first fan.  She always taught with joy and she encouraged every child to participate in whatever it was that brought them joy no matter what others said.  If you want to be in theatre, be in theatre.  If you want to be in the band, then be the best.  Don't be afraid to share your passion with others. 

4. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
This is an old adage that we should have down by now, but she showed me that I was guilty of judging when I shouldn’t have.  She is a true blonde.  She is a cheer coach.  I assumed two things, ditsy and not very bright.  I was so wrong and I am so glad I had the opportunity to realize it.  She showed me how very small my judgments made me with grace and a smile and without ever making me feel like a goof, and although she did have her moments, who doesn’t really, ditsy she was not. 

On Monday, I start a new year.  It will be my 5th year teaching but it will be my first year without our Georgia Peach/Bulldog.  I contemplate how trying it will be for me without her there.  The refrigerator full of diet coke and water and the peanut butter crackers stashed in the closet, missing that smile full of kindness not to mention one of the few teachers still willing to sit by me during meetings. 
On Monday, she will have her first day of class at her new school and again she teaches me a lesson.  I am not having to learn a whole new schedule, find a new grocery store, learn new traffic patterns, figure out where the closest bathroom is to my classroom.  I’m not in a whole new town going to convocation where no one is saving me a seat. I am here going all woe is me and what do I get, but a text from her wishing me a great new year.  Reminding me where I can find some things I’ll need for the upcoming weeks.  

5.  Always remember to count your blessings.  
Per the example above, I tend to be a bit melodramatic.  I rarely see the silver lining until after much lamenting and a lot of reflection and thankfully, most times, a swift kick in the butt.  

So to the Georgia Peach with the tenacity of the bulldog of her alma mater, safe journey, good luck and a very heart felt thank you for everything. 

Talk to you soon Harry!
With love from East Texas




No comments:

Post a Comment